Surgical Technician-Cardiovascular ORWeston, Florida, United States
req # 142533 Location Weston, Florida Facilities CC Florida Hospital Weston Professional Area Nursing Patient Support Department N/A Jobcode 000926 Schedule Full Time Shift 7:00am-5:30pm/1:00pm-11:30pm
- Reviews daily assignment and ascertains surgeon-specific preferences and anesthesia.
- Identifies and prioritizes individual patient care needs taking into consideration age, physiological, cultural and physical status.
- Plans care based on contemplated procedure, standards of practice, admission assessment and MD preferences.
- Assembles, checks and opens sterile packs, sutures, etc.
- Practices and assists others in maintaining aseptic technique and electrical and environmental safety in department.
- Complies with required standards for patient positioning, skin preparation, counting, side-site verification and other departmental policies and procedures.
- Remains with the sterile set-up to assure maintenance of the sterile field. Assists with draping; reports/corrects any break in sterile technique as they occur.
- Prepares/edits surgeon's preference lists to assure quality care of the surgical patient.
- Communicates pertinent information during procedure and during personnel changes, including status of surgical procedure.
- Assures that equipment and supplies are utilized at appropriate levels and returned to their proper location after use.
- Collects specimens as directed by surgeon, identifies origin of each specimen to RN Circulator.
- Follows standard policy and procedure for specimen collection.
- Completes Repair Worksheet on all malfunctioning equipment with proper follow-through.
- Demonstrates prudence in par level supplies and utilization.
- Serves as a resource individual for a surgical sub-specialty.
- Assists surgeon and assistants with retraction and suction as directed.
- Assures that all biohazard material is handled and disposed of properly utilizing universal precautions.
- Coordinates with RN Circulator to assure that required equipment and supplies are available prior to patient entry.
- Maintains an orderly sterile field keeping accurate counts of all sutures, sharps, soft goods and instrumentation according to policy and procedure.
- Displays dexterity in the use of surgical instrumentation and knowledge of surgical procedure.
- Assists RN Circulator to ensure proper room utilization through decreased turnover time per CPT and scheduled procedural time review.
- Assures that all instrumentation is returned to Decontamination with proper documentation count sheets.
- If hired prior to August 1, 2015 completion of a Surgical Technology Program required or Licensed Practical Nurse required. If hired August 1, 2015 or later, Surgical Technology Program accredited through CAAHEP or ABHES required. Completion of military surgical technology program will meet the requirements of an accredited Surgical Technology Program.
- Effective July 15, 2021, certification as a surgical technologist waives the educational requirement for hire. Acceptable certifications for this route are TS-C (through the National Center for Competency Training) or CST (through the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting).
- Certification preferred for candidates from accredited surgical technology programs. Certification (CST, TS-C) required for candidates who have not completed an accredited Surgical Technology program.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) through American Heart Association (AHA).
Complexity of Work:
- All employees are expected to meet the standards of performance outlined in the Organizational-Wide Competencies listed below as applied to the position:
- World Class Service Orientation: Includes attitude, behavior, interpersonal skill, and problem solving that enable an employee to respond to internal and external customer needs and expectations in a positive manner.
- Adaptability: Includes teamwork and flexibility needed to fulfill job responsibilities including adapting to changes in work environment and accepting supervisory feedback.
- Efficiency and Effectiveness: Includes quantity and quality of desired work, as well as organization skills necessary to perform successfully.
- Essential Job Requirements: Includes adherence to all relevant policies, procedures, and guidelines affecting the work environment, including maintenance of required competencies and communication skills.
- Supervisory Responsibilities (if applicable): Includes overall accountability for assigned work group relative to operational goals, personnel requirements, and budgetary constraints.
- Note: The above stated duties are intended to outline those functions typically performed by individuals assigned to this classification.
- This description of duties is not intended to be all-inclusive or to limit the discretionary authority of supervisors to assign other tasks of similar nature or level of responsibility.
- At least two years experience in a multi-disciplined OR in an acute care hospital setting preferred.
- Workload is heavy and requires constant lifting, moving of patients, equipment, instrument trays, and supplies.
- Able to lift items up to 50 pounds without assistance and greater than 50 pounds with assistance.
- Stooping, pushing and pulling required when moving patients or equipment into position for surgery.
- Ability to work at a fast pace and to prioritize multiple assignments/projects and respond to numerous requests; ability to resolve conflicts among staff and to work collaboratively with department director, physicians and other members of the Healthcare team; ability to ensure operational efficiency; ability to problem solve and make decisions; ability to exercise self-control and tolerate stress when dealing with multiple requests and/or conflicting demands from multiple customers.
- Needs minimal sustained direction in assessing work load, directing staff and carrying out departmental and professional responsibilities; self-starting and self-motivating; working hours may exceed eight (8) hours per day and is based on what is needed to accomplish completion of the daily surgical schedule.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective equipment as required for procedures.