Ambulatory Surgical Unit AssistantLorain, Ohio, United States
- Escorts preoperative patient to bed space and assists with the preoperative preparation of the patient by orienting the patient and family to the unit, labeling and securing patient belongings, completing vital signs and Accucheck, and other tasks as assigned by RN. Documents as appropriate.
- Performs a variety of technical tasks, including set up of IV infusions, application of heat or cold, enemas, application of external monitoring devices and removal of urinary catheters, peripheral IVs or NG tubes.
- Assists RN with exams, moving and positioning the patient.
- Assembles and cleans equipment needed.
- Removes all medical and regulated waste.
- Performs decontamination, instrument inspection, instrument assembly, and sterilization of equipment.
- Selects appropriate sterilization method and packaging for processing of equipment.
- Performs and monitors the sterilization processes used in the procedural areas and completes logs as appropriate.
- Utilizes the instrument tracking systems to monitor equipment and document work completed.
- Performs basic case cart assembly.
- Transports patients of all ages within the procedural areas.
- Responsible for the supplies, equipment and specimens within the procedural areas.
- Maintains transportation logs.
- Escorts patients at discharge.
- Transports properly labeled and packaged specimens as directed.
- Transports broken equipment, along with completed requisitions, to the designated location for pick-up.
- Picks up and delivers tables.
- Stocks equipment and supplies as directed to designated par levels.
- Checks expiration dates of solutions and medication and updates documents monthly.
- Assists with maintaining equipment control, replacing parts, sending equipment for repair and obtaining loaner equipment.
- Sanitizes and cleans the ORs consistent with procedural areas Environmental Service Standards.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma required.
- On-the-Job Training: After selection and placement into the position, three (3) months on-the-job training to become familiar with specific department procedures, medical terminology, equipment, sterilization procedures
Basic Life Support (BLS) through American Heart Association (AHA)
Complexity of Work:
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment, and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- Minimum one (1) year experience in a healthcare or related environment.
- Must successfully complete basic competencies and Level A CPR certification within the probationary period.
- Light Work - Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly (Constantly: activity or condition exists 2/3 or more of the time) to move objects.
- Requires a full range of body motion pulling, lifting, pushing, and transferring patients to and from various apparatus.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
The policy of Cleveland Clinic Health System and its system hospitals (Cleveland Clinic Health System) is to provide equal opportunity to all of our employees and applicants for employment in our tobacco free and drug free environment. All offers of employment are followed by testing for controlled substance and nicotine. Job offers will be rescinded for candidates for employment who test positive for nicotine. Candidates for employment who are impacted by Cleveland Clinic Health System's Smoking Policy will be permitted to reapply for open positions after 90 days.
Decisions concerning employment, transfers and promotions are made upon the basis of the best qualified candidate without regard to color, race, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran or any other characteristic protected by law. Information provided on this application may be shared with any Cleveland Clinic Health System facility.
Please review the Equal Employment Opportunity poster
Cleveland Clinic Health System is pleased to be an equal employment employer: Women / Minorities / Veterans / Individuals with Disabilities