Surgical Technologist General Surgery or Cardiac Surgery
Job DetailsPerforms scrub functions. Assists in circulating duties under the direction of a Registered Nurse and maintains professional growth and development through an ongoing process of formal and informal education. Demonstrates a positive, concerned and sensitive response in the work place.
- Sets up sterile table assuring appropriate supplies, drugs, and equipment are available.
- Participates with RN in counting all sponges, instruments, etc., at appropriate times during the surgical procedure.
- Assists in draping patient.
- Assists surgical team members with gowning and gloving.
- Assures aseptic condition is maintained by the scrubbed surgical team throughout the procedure. Provides for patient safety by actively participating in the intraop "timeout."
- Utilizes other safety measures such as safety belts, positioning devices and alarms.
- Collects, identifies and labels specimens removed during surgical procedures; gives specimens to circulator for disposition per surgeon's instructions.
- If in an Ambulatory setting the following duties may be assigned:
- Coordinates surgical and clinical schedules.
- Assists with outpatient clinic flow.
- Provides information to patient and family.
- Assists with coordinating outpatient procedure room cases and supplies.
- Assists with orientation of new hires.
- Works on unit committees.
- Assists with marketing and practice development.
- Coordinates studies for section.
- Answers patient phone calls, gathers information and relays to provider.
- Performs post-op phone calls and relays information to provider.
- Provides information back to patient based on provider instruction.
- Scribes for provider in outpatient clinic.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Completion of an accredited Surgical Technology Program required or if hired prior to August 21, 2015 Licensed Practical Nurse.
- Completion of an accredited Surgical Technology Program required upon hire.
- Certified Surgical Technician (CST) required within one year of hire date.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) required upon hire.
Complexity of Work:
- Within scope of job, requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment.
- Must be able to establish and maintain courteous and cooperative relations with patients and others contacted in the course of work and able to empathize with patients suffering from physical or emotional difficulties.
- None required.
- Requires full range of body motion including handling and lifting patients, manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination.
- Requires standing and walking for extensive periods of time.
- Occasionally lifts and carries items weighing up to 25 pounds and ability to push, pull, and navigate supply carts weighing up to 200 pounds.
- Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range.
- Requires working under stressful conditions of working irregular hours.
- Requires some exposure to communicable diseases or bodily fluids.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
Keywords: Surg, Surgery, Surg Technologist, Surgical Technologist, General Surgery, AST Conference, Surg Tech, Surgical Tech, AST