Surgical Technologist General Surgery or Cardiac SurgeryCleveland, Ohio, United States
- Sets up sterile table assuring appropriate supplies, drugs, and equipment are available.
- Participates with RN in counting all sponges, instruments, etc., at appropriate times during the surgical procedure.
- Assists in draping patient.
- Assists surgical team members with gowning and gloving.
- Assures aseptic condition is maintained by the scrubbed surgical team throughout the procedure. Provides for patient safety by actively participating in the intraop "timeout."
- Utilizes other safety measures such as safety belts, positioning devices and alarms.
- Collects, identifies and labels specimens removed during surgical procedures; gives specimens to circulator for disposition per surgeon's instructions.
- If in an Ambulatory setting the following duties may be assigned:
- Coordinates surgical and clinical schedules.
- Assists with outpatient clinic flow.
- Provides information to patient and family.
- Assists with coordinating outpatient procedure room cases and supplies.
- Assists with orientation of new hires.
- Works on unit committees.
- Assists with marketing and practice development.
- Coordinates studies for section.
- Answers patient phone calls, gathers information and relays to provider.
- Performs post-op phone calls and relays information to provider.
- Provides information back to patient based on provider instruction.
- Scribes for provider in outpatient clinic.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Completion of an accredited Surgical Technology Program required or if hired prior to August 21, 2015 Licensed Practical Nurse.
- Completion of an accredited Surgical Technology Program required upon hire.
- Certified Surgical Technician (CST) required within one year of hire date.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) required upon hire.
Complexity of Work:
- Within scope of job, requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment.
- Must be able to establish and maintain courteous and cooperative relations with patients and others contacted in the course of work and able to empathize with patients suffering from physical or emotional difficulties.
- None required.
- Requires full range of body motion including handling and lifting patients, manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination.
- Requires standing and walking for extensive periods of time.
- Occasionally lifts and carries items weighing up to 25 pounds and ability to push, pull, and navigate supply carts weighing up to 200 pounds.
- Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range.
- Requires working under stressful conditions of working irregular hours.
- Requires some exposure to communicable diseases or bodily fluids.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
Keywords: Surg, Surgery, Surg Technologist, Surgical Technologist, General Surgery, AST Conference, Surg Tech, Surgical Tech, AST
The policy of Cleveland Clinic Health System and its system hospitals (Cleveland Clinic Health System) is to provide equal opportunity to all of our employees and applicants for employment in our tobacco free and drug free environment. All offers of employment are followed by testing for controlled substance and nicotine. Job offers will be rescinded for candidates for employment who test positive for nicotine. Candidates for employment who are impacted by Cleveland Clinic Health System's Smoking Policy will be permitted to reapply for open positions after 90 days.
Decisions concerning employment, transfers and promotions are made upon the basis of the best qualified candidate without regard to color, race, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran or any other characteristic protected by law. Information provided on this application may be shared with any Cleveland Clinic Health System facility.
Please review the Equal Employment Opportunity poster
Cleveland Clinic Health System is pleased to be an equal employment employer: Women / Minorities / Veterans / Individuals with Disabilities