Perinatal Educator- PRN
req # 130755 Location Cleveland, Ohio Facilities Fairview Hospital Professional Area Nursing Non-Patient Care Department 1995 Childbirth/Childcare-Fairview Hospital Jobcode F2602W Schedule Part Time Shift PRN
Job DetailsSupports and teaches expectant mothers and their support person, post delivered parents in the neonatal period and the community in a structured classroom program using an interactive teaching style. Serves as a resource person to support the Cleveland Clinic Birthing and Neonatal Services, as well as the community. This position is PRN- evening hours (5p-9p) and occasional Saturdays. The Birthing Center at Cleveland Clinic Fairview Hospital helps more than 5,000 expectant families bring their babies into the world each year. Our Childbirth Education/Lactation Services department is designed to help these families – answering questions they may have and preparing them for their new arrival. The highly experienced perinatal nurse educators and lactation consultants within our department work with expectant parents and other family members to teach healthy behaviors for pregnancy, establish realistic expectations for labor/birth, and promote positive, memorable birth experiences. We offer an extensive listing of childbirth and parenting education classes – from basic information about pregnancy and various Lamaze classes to prenatal yoga or sibling preparation, infant care and safety, and more. As a designated Baby Friendly Hospital, Cleveland Clinic Fairview Hospital provides an environment of care that supports mothers to make an informed infant nutrition decision, and establish successful breastfeeding for women who choose to breastfeed. Our experienced staff of lactation consultants is dedicated to providing evidence-based education and support to expectant and new parents. Lactation consultants collaborate as part of a multi-disciplinary team to provide individualized feeding plans and support to new mothers. Our 14 board-certified lactation consultants are available to support inpatients day and night, and outpatients through our growing outpatient Lactation Consultant service.
- Supports and teaches expectant mothers and their support person, post delivered parents in the neonatal period and the community in a structured classroom program using an interactive teaching style.
- Serves as a resource person to support the Cleveland Clinic Birthing and Neonatal Services, as well as the community.
- Transfers information from class curriculum to class participants with the use of creative techniques.
- Utilizes current information and knowledge to share with colleagues and keep curriculum current.
- Facilitates interactive teaching methods.
- Demonstrates sensitivity to pregnant and parenting mothers, fathers, and other family members in a supportive and interactive teaching environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Graduate from an accredited school of professional nursing. BSN preferred.
- Current State Registered Nurse (RN) licensure required if in designated nursing specialty areas.
- Certification or other documented education/training in the area of expertise required.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) through American Heart Association (AHA) required.
- Required to present evidence of certification renewals upon expiration dates.
- 1 year experience or certification/demonstrated knowledge in the specialty area of instruction.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective equipment as required for procedures.