Histo technologist - PRN
req # 94394 Location Cleveland, Ohio Facility Cleveland Clinic Main Campus Professional Area Allied Health Department 1255 Laboratory Medicine-Pathology And Lab Medicine Jobcode C20008 Schedule Part Time Shift 5:30am-2:00pm
Job DetailsPerforms routine and developmental immunohistochemistry and molecular laboratory techniques. Analyzes and evaluates assays for sensitivity and specificity. Embeds and prepares sections for various procedures.
- Transports tissue specimens to the Laboratory.
- Performs immunohistochemical and in-situ hybridization procedures including handling and storage of probes and antibodies.
- Analyzes and evaluates assays for sensitivity and specificity.
- Embeds and prepares sections by cutting frozen or paraffin embedded tissue for immunohistochemistry, in-situ hybridization or other special procedures.
- Mounts, labels and distributes prepared microscope slides to pathologists or to appropriate areas for interpretation.
- Prepares reagents buffers, solutions and stains.
- Replaces reagents and performs daily maintenance on automated instrumentation.
- Files surgical and autopsy blocks used for immunohistochemical techniques.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in biology, microbiology, chemistry or related field; or meets the CLIA qualifications for Histotechnologist (HTL)
- Working knowledge of OSHA requirements concerning chemical hygiene and bloodborne pathogens.
- Histotechnician (HT) or Histotechnologist (HTL) certification or certification eligible by American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP).
Complexity of Work:
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a highly technical, stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- Prior hands on laboratory experience from an accredited Histotechnology school or one year of prior histology laboratory experience preferred.
- Requires manual dexterity and visual acuity when handling specimens, slides and utilizing instrumentation.
- Ability to safely handle potentially infectious patient specimens, carcinogenic substances, odorous and other hazardous materials to which they may be exposed.
- Typical physical demands include ability to sit, stand or walk extensively.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required.