Development Technologist - Clinical Biochemistry
req # 115107 Location Cleveland, Ohio Facility Cleveland Clinic Main Campus Professional Area Allied Health Department 3360 Special Chemistry-Pathology And Lab Medicine Jobcode E99983 Schedule Full Time Shift 8:00am-4:30pm
Job DetailsWorks as a Developmental Technologist and supports the specialized developmental track job responsibility. Performs and interprets tests at all complexity levels. Demonstrates an understanding of the theory and scientific principles of laboratory testing as well as the technical, procedural and problem solving aspects.
- Assists in the validation and verification of new assays under the direction of the Medical Director.
- Performs validation and verification analysis, collects and analyzes data and prepares for Medical Director review.
- Writes technical procedure, submits to Medical Director for review and the Laboratory Director for approval.
- Trains medical technologists in new testing procedures.
- Assists with implementation of newly developed clinical tests.
- Participates in the development and presentation of technical papers and posters.
- Follows the laboratory's procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analysis, reporting and maintaining records of patient test results.
- Performs laboratory testing in a compliant manner.
- Maintains regulatory knowledge and awareness as it pertains to specific job duties.
- Adheres to the laboratory's quality control policies.
- Documents all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and maintenance performed.
- Takes action regarding any quality control or quality assurance issues as it pertains to specific job duties.
- Maintains instruments and equipment in accordance with manufacturer's specifications.
- Documents practices and maintains clear and legible records.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in a chemical, physical, biological or clinical laboratory science or medical technology from a four-year college or university.
- OR Meets the CLIA qualifications for high complexity testing personnel grandfathering clauses. See Code of Federal Regulations, Title 42, §493.1489(b)(3), §493.1489(b)(4), §493.1489(b)(5), §493.1491 Standards; High Complexity Testing Personnel Qualifications.
- Diploma and/or transcripts must be provided.
- Education will be verified.
- Education outside of the United States requires diploma/transcripts translated into English and proof of foreign equivalency from by an HHS approved agency or nationally recognized organization such as NACES (National Association Credential Evaluation Services, Inc.) or AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc.).
- MT(ASCP) or MLS(ASCP) eligible preferred.
Complexity of Work:
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work unsupervised or with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- Two years of experience in a clinical or related laboratory environment required.
- Physical demands include: Visual acuity to study specimens under a microscope.
- The ability to distinguish colors.
- Fine motor skills and manual dexterity to handle specimens and lab equipment required to process specimens and repair equipment.
- May be required to stand for long periods of time.
- Light lifting may be required.
- May be exposed to hazardous chemicals, biohazards, radioactive materials, etc.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective equipment as required.