req # 129001 Location Avon, Ohio Facilities Avon Hospital Professional Area Allied Health Department 4689 NRS-Emergency Dept-Avon Hospital Jobcode G16005 Schedule Part Time Shift Part Time
Job DetailsProvides duties that assist in providing patient care in the emergency department under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse.
- Obtains and records vital signs.
- Perform EKGs.
- Performs CPR.
- Initiates cardiac monitoring, notifies RN and/or physician of rhythm changes.
- Initiates oxygen therapy.
- Performs oral, nasal, and ET suctioning.
- Performs phlebotomy and initiates saline locks.
- Applies orthopedic appliances and simple splints.
- Sizes crutches and teaches crutch walking.
- Assists with equipment set-up, chest tubes, gastric lavage, LP, etc.
- Assists with restraint and seclusion of patients and application of restraint devices.
- Sitter to provide direct observation to patients as directed.
- Transport patients as required: stable unmonitored and monitored patients without titratable cardiovascular medications.
- Transport specimens to lab when needed.
- Assists with sterile procedures and adhere to sterile technique, universal precautions, and handling of hazardous materials.
- Assists with cleaning and maintenance of supplies and equipment.
- Point of care testing as applicable.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients; respects patients’ dignity and right to privacy.
- Supports the concept of teamwork and demonstrates a cooperative/collaborative demeanor.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Completion of an accredited EMS-Paramedic training program.
- Current licensure as an Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic (EMTP) in the current State.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) through American Heart Association (AHA).
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) through American Heart Association (AHA) required.
- International Trauma Life Support (ITLS) preferred.
- If in an ED, Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) through American Heart Association (AHA) upon hire or within one year of beginning work in the Emergency Department.
Complexity of Work:
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- One year experience as a EMT-P preferred.
- Clinical experience through a EMS Paramedic Training program required.
- Requires full body motion to move and lift patients, manual finger dexterity with good eye-hand coordination; involves extensive standing and walking.
- Medium Work - Exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Physical Demand requirements are in excess of those for Light Work.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required.