Registration Specialist - Orthopedic Office
req # 122204 Location Akron, Ohio Facilities Akron General Medical Center Professional Area Customer Service Department 9563 Orthopedics-Cleveland Clinic Akron General Jobcode AK0789 Schedule Full Time Shift Full Time
Job DetailsUnder the supervision of the Practice Manager, the Registration Specialist is responsible for greeting and directing patients, insuring accurate and timely registration, posting charges, collecting payments, processing referrals, scheduling appointments and working denials.
- Verifies and updates registration information in the practice management system in accordance with Partners Physician Group policy. Notifies clinical staff and/or physician of the arrival of a patient scheduled for an appointment.
- Completes pre-registration for scheduled patients as needed.
- Reviews eligibility response to assess patient's benefit level. Prepares patient estimates using software or following established policies and procedures. Advises patients of out-of-pocket expenses and collects payment. Applies payments and discounts in accordance with established procedures. Maintains security of payments in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Completes referrals and pre-certifications in a timely manner.
- Completes compliance checks and/or obtains necessary authorizations/pre-certifications. Provides required information to third party payers to facilitate pre-certification and accurate compliance checking. Works with ancillary departments when issues arise to insure information is shared and delays do not occur.
- Reviews patient's prior balances and collects co-pays and account balances and accurately enters these in the computer daily.
- Posts and balances charges and payments daily including the preparation of the daily deposit.
- Answers telephone promptly and courteously; takes messages accurately and provides information as needed.
- Schedules patient appointments in the computer according to established guidelines.
- Pre-loads, assembles, updates and files medical record charts. Places lab work, test results and dictation on charts in accordance with office guidelines.
- Refers patients to Financial Counselors in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Reports compliance issues related to coding, transcription and patient confidentiality.
- Works denial report and makes corrections in accordance with Partners Physician Group policy.
- Prepares medical records for chart audits. Complies with front desk and charge entry audit policies.
- Works with physicians, secretaries, clinical staff, coding coordinators and billing department to resolve patient inquiries and billing and/or coding questions.
- Follows system and department policies and procedures with special attention to attendance and punctuality, confidentiality, dress code and display of ID badge, and safety.
- Completes mandatory education and training in order to maintain organization and department specific competencies and requirements. Maintains applicable certification/licensure.
- Other duties as assigned
- High school graduate or the equivalent.
- Certified Medical Assistant preferred.
Complexity of Work:
- Excellent customer service skills. Effective written and verbal communication skills. Skilled in the safe handling of money. Competent with computer software including practice management systems and windows applications.
- Either One (1) year of work experience with registration charge posting in a medical office setting or completion of medical assistant program is preferred.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required