6100 Senior Tech
req # 112027 Location Akron, Ohio Facilities Akron General Medical Center Professional Area Nursing Patient Support Department 9453 6100 Psychiatric Unit-Cleveland Clinic Akron General Jobcode AK9948 Schedule Full Time Shift 3:00pm-11:30pm
Job DetailsUnder the direct supervision of the Director, the Senior Technician is responsible for performing various duties assisting in the care of adult, geriatric, and sometimes adolescent and newborn patients as assigned by the registered nurse including the care of complex patients. As expected for all employees, the Senior Technician is responsible for promoting and demonstrating the Values and Guest Service standards in the fulfillment of his/her role.
- Prepares unit, patient rooms and patient beds for receiving patient admission, returning surgical patient, transfer or emergencies.
- Provides and documents assigned care (bath, changing and/or refreshing of bed linen, dressing/undressing of patient, back rubs, etc.) and other general care through the day to assure patients physical comfort.
- As directed, performs and documents in the electronic medical records the patient's temperature, pulse, respirations, blood pressure, pulse oximetry, weight, height, and measures intake and output in an accurate and precise manner.
- Assists with pre-operative and post-operative care, such as turning and positioning patients with proper body mechanics, applying/utilizing special equipment, as necessary and ambulating the patient as directed in a safe, prescribed manner.
- Assists and accompanies patient in the admission, transfer and discharge process while assuring comfort.
- Participates in nursing reports by receiving and contributing to status report of patients.
- Performs treatment procedures including, but not limited to, venous blood draws including blood cultures and blood glucose testing, enemas, application of ice packs and heat, non-sterile compresses, skin preps, setting up oxygen equipment, bed scale weights, sets-up overhead trapeze and Buck's traction and other therapeutic measures in a safe and effective manner.
- Prepares patients for meals, assists in feeding patient if necessary, and distributes water and other nourishments according to patient needs in compliance with physician orders.
- Demonstrates understanding of emergency procedures, fire drills, evacuation and internal/external disaster plans and procedures.
- Provides post-mortem care and transport of body in a safe, precise manner.
- Adheres to isolation precautions when entering rooms where patient is in isolation.
- Performs hand hygiene per established policy.
- Cleans the shared patient equipment between each patient with appropriate disinfectant.
- Performs hourly safety rounds willingly, anticipates patient needs and responds to patient call lights promptly.
- Collects, properly labels and transports specimens to proper area in timely manner.
- Reports to appropriate nursing personnel pertinent information including any changes observed in condition or behavior of patient.
- Assists in keeping patient rooms in order, reporting equipment that is out of order, cleaning equipment (as assigned) and mandatory inventory and distributing unit linen and supplies.
- Consistently completes assignments independently with high quality work. Adapts to change in workload or patient assignments. Recognizes and responds to priorities in patient care.
- Independently performs assigned duties, willingly cooperates with staff in delivery of more complex treatments and procedures.
- Performs additional or less skilled duties as assigned by the registered nurse to include assisting with orientations of Senior Technicians and other personnel.
- Timely documents, per policies, care provided to patients in the electronic medical record and during downtime procedures.
- May perform EKGs and urinary catheterization in ED only.
- Completes annual on-going competency requirements. Attends continuing education programs and completes mandatory training in order to maintain certification/licensure, and department specific requirements.
- Follows hospital and department policies and procedures with special attention to attendance and punctuality, confidentiality, dress code and display of ID badge, and safety.
- Other duties as assigned
- High school graduate or the equivalent.
- State Tested Nursing Assistant preferred.
- Successful completion of Basic Life Support (BLS) through American Heart Association (AHA) required within new hire period.
Complexity of Work:
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- Maintains competencies specific to patient population served.
- One year recent acute care experience preferred.
- Prior job or educational experience providing basic computer knowledge and skills needed.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required